Tuesday 30 June 2015

Skip the protocol (My convocation story)

After four years of tirelessly studying at the university, I recently (June 26, 2015) graduated with a degree in Mass Communication.

Yes! Thanks for all the congratulatory messages in advance. I am sincerely grateful.

Prior to the convocation ceremony, my grandmother travelled from Osun to Lagos, just to be physically present at the event, there were also a lot of items to be bought which later began to stress me out. Finding quality materials at malls was really breath-taking, all in the name of a celebration.

Later on, the entire convocation process and protocol started to make me nauseate as I just felt like collecting my certificate and saying goodbyes.

Unfortunately for me it was a week-long event which consisted of a convocation lecture, a hooding ceremony, a long clearance process, the convocation ceremony proper, an alumni investiture and a thanksgiving ceremony ( well .... that's all I can remember.)

Your guess is as good as mine, I was totally exhausted.

After the convocation ceremony, while family and friends present were eating and chatting. I got irritated as I was supposed to smile for hundreds of pictures (not an exaggeration). After taking a few, I couldn't fake it anymore, I was frowning, not because I was not happy but I did not see any need for all these.

My mum and some others yelled saying "Smile now, today is your day"

I am not saying there should be no celebration. There should be a gallant celebration but in cases where the celebration starts to make the celebrant weary. Hmmmn!
(coughs)

All I propose is to stick to the basics and skip the protocol.

Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment